This was a light week, we only had one row to complete.
I have to admit that I am very thankful for that, the timing was great as I had a really hectic week at work and had to work late more than one day.
The row itself was nice and easy, just chains and dc(tr)2tog’s.
I have finished my first doily! Woohoo!
As my first doily project I did the Passion Flower Doily by Esther Chandler.
The doily itself is quite pretty and was very quick to work up at only 11 rows in total.
I enjoyed the crocheting and the pattern itself is fairly simple – no complicated stitches. I did however find the pattern somewhat difficult to read sometimes – I think that it could have been clearer in some places about where stitches should go or where a row starts etc.
I do appreciate that the designer makes the pattern available in both UK and US crochet terms – I am able to follow both, but prefer the UK terms since that is what I am used to.
My doily is crocheted in Vinnis Colours Nikkim which is a 100% cotton yarn(Unfortunately I can’t get their site to work to link to it)
It hasn’t been blocked yet – to be honest, I’m not sure I’d be able to block it in a circular shape if I tried. I’m fairly happy with how it turned out though – not bad for a first attempt I think.
On to the next doily!
Do you know how many pages of results you get if you search for doilies on Ravelry? I recently got to find out. Thanks to the Mini Rings of Change CAL, I have become interested in actually crocheting doilies hence my search on Ravelry.
I typed in “Doily” and selected “Crochet” and “Free” as my search options – I was greeted with 28 pages of results. I dived in and emerged a couple of blissful hours later.
Along the way I added everything that looked remotely interesting to my queue – this resulted in a queue of 97 patterns, all doilies.
You’ll never guess what I want to do now…yarn shopping! I don’t have any thinner yarns as my usual preference of patterns tend to use 4ply/DK yarns.
I’m thinking that I should pick one or two patterns and then buy yarn for that, the only question now, is how on earth do I pick those two patterns? Do I just take the first two in my queue, or do I spend another hour or two in careful consideration? Another alternative I suppose is to pick two random numbers between 0 and 97 and whichever numbers are picked, those are the projects I shall attempt. That actually sounds like a good idea.
The very first one that I will do however has been picked as there is only doily in my queue that uses dk/4ply yarn. That is the Passion Flower doily by Ester Chandler it is a fairly “small” doily at 11 rounds and will hopefully be a good starter project.
What are your favourite doily patterns?
I have decided to take the plunge and do the Mini Rings of Change CAL that is hosted by Kate from Stitches, Scraps and Sparkles in the Sun.
I’m a bit late to the party – the official CAL is now on week 6. I’ve done rows 1-5 in about 40 minutes, here they are:
The rest will take quite a bit longer! I’m thinking of trying to do about 2 weeks worth of crochet every week until I’m caught up, but I’ll have to see how it goes.
I’m doing the work in Vinnis Colours Nikkim which is a dk cotton yarn – I absolutely love working with this yarn.
My colours are Ballet Pink, Pink and Raspberry
I’m not so sure how well it works, but it is what I have available. The current plan is to do 3 rows in each colour.
This project is something quite new to me – I usually avoid working in the round and prefer “straight” projects, but something about this one caught my attention and I think I’m ready for the challenge (That optimism might change after a few more rounds though)
Working away ends is by far the most tedious part of crochet in my opinion – it frustrates me to no end.
I can be all happy about finishing a project, only to realise that just because the crochet part is done, doesn’t mean the project is done – and sometimes that stops the project right there.
My current blanket includes quite a lot of ends and I’m not looking forward to having to try to hide them.
And then you get the problem where the ends don’t necessarily stays hidden, they start to peek out after a while – not nice either.
I suppose it is possible that I’m doing something wrong, or that there is an easier way to work away ends that I just don’t know about.
How do you work away your ends?
I am borrowing this idea from stiches, scraps and sparkles in the sun and by some luck can combine it with the new stashbuster challenge from Linda’s crafty corner
It just so happens that my current WIP uses up some of my stash – it is awesome to be able to use “existing” yarn for something like a present. I have to admit that most of the time it is more exciting to do projects that require me buying new yarn or yarn other than acrylic, but I suppose that the “newness” in this project is that I’m not following any pattern, but making it up as I go.
This is how far I am at the moment:
I’m going to add these blocks around the border:
And then do the granny rows in the opposite colour sequence from previously. Then depending on the size of the blanket, I might do a granny edge that alternates between the two smaller squares.
I do have 2 or 3 other WIPs as well, but unfortunately no photos at the moment (and I haven’t really touched them for a while), so I guess I’ll only post them if I actually do work on them.
Today’s inspiration is by CrochetDad Ramblings:
Click for original